Senior Staff Writer
Locations: Decatur, GA; Jackson, MS; Miami, FL; Montgomery, AL;
New Orleans, LA; Tallahassee, FL; and Washington, D.C.
Reports to: Editorial Director
Pay grade: MGM014
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTIONS
- Writing original online and print content. Examples may include: narrative feature stories, enterprise stories, news stories, press releases, fact sheets, newsletters, letters, commentary pieces and policy;
- Providing editorial support to other departments as needed;
- Staying current on news events that affect SPLC programmatic work;
- Contributing editorial ideas to promote SPLC programmatic work;
- Conducting research and fact-checking;
- Consulting on SPLC Editorial Style Guide updates and revisions;
- Consulting on SPLC Content Strategy;
- Training and mentoring staff writers and interns;
- Working cross-department to bring clear messaging and institutional voice to all written materials;
- Copyediting and proofreading for a variety of publications; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Supervisory Reports: None
Interacts with: Communications, Policy, all practice groups, coalition partners, and external stakeholders.
Education and Related Work Experience:
- At least 5 years of professional writing experience, preferably within a news organization and/or nonprofit environment; and
- High school diploma or GED.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Strong communication skills: ability to write clearly and accurately to clearly express ideas to junior staff members;
- Self-starter who generates their own story ideas but also takes on assignments per the Center’s needs;
- Proven ability to work independently, meet multiple deadlines and function under pressure;
- Proven ability to work closely with, and enhance the work of other writers;
- Familiarity with and commitment to social justice issues and SPLC’s mission;
- Team player with entrepreneurial spirit and ability to collaborate effectively with staff members at all levels in fast-paced environment;
- Commitment to ideals of justice, equity, diversity and inclusion; and
- Commitment to fostering an anti-racist work culture and to anti-racist principles and learning.
OTHER SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS
This job is performed under general office conditions and is not subject to any strenuous physical demands or dangerous conditions.
This position is represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild.
Interested applicants can apply here.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Due to COVID-19, our offices are currently closed, and staff is working remotely. If this position is filled while our offices remain closed, the new employee will work remotely until the offices reopen. We are not asking newly hired employees to relocate while the offices are closed.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, gender identity, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, national origin, or prior record of arrest or conviction.