General Assignment Reporter
The Wakulla News is seeking a General Assignment Reporter. This full-time position is non-exempt and reports to the Editor.
The Wakulla News is a weekly newspaper with an average circulation of 4,200. Wakulla County is located in the northwestern part of Florida, approximately 18 miles southwest of Tallahassee. The Wakulla News offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off benefits to full-time employees. The newspaper can be found online at www.thewakullanews.com/. The Wakulla News is part of the Citrus Publishing Group which produces a group of weekly newspapers in Citrus, Marion, Sumter, Wakulla, Gadsden and Levy counties. The newspapers include paid weeklies, shoppers and free distribution newspapers.
- Position requires a four-year college diploma or equivalent 4 years’ experience working in a newsroom
- Proficiency in InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft software required
- Knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation and spelling that follows AP style
- Knowledge of or the ability to learn and operate the editorial computer system
- Customer service experience
- Commitment to customers through positive, enthusiastic and professional customer service
- Professional telephone manner
- Ability to represent the company in a professional manner
- Ability to communicate with customers, stringers and co-workers in a professional manner
- Ability to work in a well-structured, high stress, competitive environment
- Problem solving, analytical abilities and interpersonal skills required
- Write accurate, compelling and balanced stories meeting required deadlines.
- Cover local events, meetings and other activities, as well as write feature stories.
- Develop beat sources within the community and gain a thorough knowledge and understanding of community issues.
- Help build pages using InDesign and PhotoShop.
- develop a strong source network among the traditional government agencies and throughout the community.
- Cover local government meetings.
- Practice fair and balanced reporting, check facts, spelling, grammar and sources.
- Set up interviews.
- Develop story ideas in conjunction with Editor.
- Basic skills with digital photography.
Interested persons may send their resume, cover letter and writing samples to Bill Snowden, General Manager & Editor, at email@example.com.
You may apply at www.lcni.com under Job Opportunities.
Notify your immediate supervisor and LCNI HR Director if making application. The deadline to apply is Friday, April 19, 2019.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Date Posted: March 21, 2019