General Assignment Reporter The Wakulla News Crawfordville, FL
The Wakulla News is seeking a General Assignment Reporter. This full-time position is non-exempt and reports to the General Manager/Editor.
The Wakulla News is a weekly newspaper with an average circulation of 2,600 and is part of the Citrus Publishing Group which produces a group of weekly newspapers in Citrus, Marion, Sumter, Wakulla, Gadsden and Levy counties. The newspapers include paid weeklies, shoppers and free distribution newspapers. Wakulla County is located in the northwestern part of Florida, approximately 18 miles southwest of Tallahassee. The newspaper can be found online at www.thewakullanews.com. The Wakulla News offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off benefits.
- Four-year college degree or equivalent 4 years’ experience working in a newsroom
- Proficiency in InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft software required
- Knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation and spelling that follows AP style
- Knowledge of or the ability to learn and operate the editorial computer system
- Problem solving, analytical abilities and interpersonal skills required
- Customer service experience
- Commitment to customers through positive, enthusiastic and professional customer service
- Professional telephone manner
- Ability to represent the company in a professional manner
- Ability to communicate with customers, stringers and co-workers in a professional manner
- Ability to work in a well-structured, high stress, competitive environment
- Valid driver’s license, safe driving record and reliable transportation to travel to assignments
- Write accurate, compelling and balanced stories meeting required deadlines.
- Cover local events, meetings and other activities, as well as write feature stories.
- Develop beat sources within the community and gain a thorough knowledge and understanding of community issues.
- Help build pages using InDesign and PhotoShop.
- Develop a strong source network among the traditional government agencies and throughout the community.
- Cover local government meetings.
- Practice fair and balanced reporting, check facts, spelling, grammar and sources.
- Set up interviews.
- Develop story ideas in conjunction with Editor.
- Basic skills with digital photography.
Interested persons may contact Bill Snowden, General Manager & Editor, at email@example.com
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Date Posted: February 11, 2021