General Assignment Reporter
The Wakulla News is seeking a General Assignment Reporter. This full-time position is non-exempt and reports to the Editor.
The Wakulla News is a weekly newspaper with an average circulation of 4,200. Wakulla County is located in the northwestern part of Florida, approximately 18 miles southwest of Tallahassee. The Wakulla News offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off benefits to full-time employees. The newspaper can be found online at www.thewakullanews.com/. The Wakulla News is part of the Citrus Publishing Group which produces a group of weekly newspapers in Citrus, Marion, Sumter, Wakulla, Gadsden and Levy counties. The newspapers include paid weeklies, shoppers and free distribution newspapers.
- Position requires a four-year college diploma or equivalent 4 years’ experience working in a newsroom
- Proficiency in InDesign, Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft software required
- Knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation and spelling that follows AP style
- Knowledge of or the ability to learn and operate the editorial computer system
- Customer service experience
- Commitment to customers through positive, enthusiastic and professional customer service
- Professional telephone manner
- Ability to represent the company in a professional manner
- Ability to communicate with customers, stringers and co-workers in a professional manner
- Ability to work in a well-structured, high stress, competitive environment
- Problem solving, analytical abilities and interpersonal skills required
- Write accurate, compelling and balanced stories meeting required deadlines.
- Cover local events, meetings and other activities, as well as write feature stories.
- Develop beat sources within the community and gain a thorough knowledge and understanding of community issues.
- Help build pages using InDesign and PhotoShop.
- develop a strong source network among the traditional government agencies and throughout the community.
- Cover local government meetings.
- Practice fair and balanced reporting, check facts, spelling, grammar and sources.
- Set up interviews.
- Develop story ideas in conjunction with Editor.
- Basic skills with digital photography.
Interested persons may send their resume, cover letter and writing samples to Bill Snowden, General Manager & Editor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Date Posted: February 26, 2020