The Editor works with the Publisher to develop a strategy that ensures the seven-day news product is meeting the needs of our growing community, both in print and digital. www.chronicleonline.com
Essential Functions :
- Develop and implement newsroom wide goals including print and digital publishing daily on site and social media.
- Responsible for facilitating selected daily/weekly news meetings, ensuring staff is assigned to all major daily stories.
- Shares with Publisher as the voice of the county
- Has general knowledge of the newsroom budget
- Monitors analytics to ensure story choices are resonating with readers
- Assists with writing and editing stories for context, organization, clarity, length and style.
- Ensures that all articles are posted online and consistently works with team on social media posts, digital newsletter and to create content engagement.
Competencies & Skills:
- Must possess strong news judgment.
- Reporting, writing and editing skills, including knowledge of AP style.
- Strong digital headline writing skills.
- Understanding of SEO and how to leverage it to build audience for our content.
- Understanding of social media and how groups of interest congregate and share information online.
- Most possess knowledge of and ability to assign digital storytelling methods.
- Minimum of 5 years reporting experience at daily news publication or similar
- Newsroom leadership experience, including managing reporters, photographers and managing editors
- Solid understanding of digital platforms including social, email, podcasting, etc.
The annual salary is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, time in role, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary there is a comprehensive benefits package, medical, vision, dental and a 401K plan (all benefits are based on eligibility).
Trina Murphy, Publisher
Date Posted: December 9, 2022