S. Marion Citizen & W. Marion Messenger; Ocala, Florida
The South Marion Citizen and West Marion Messenger Editor is responsible for the overall photography, writing, editing and layout of the two weekly newspapers. The Editor must set the agenda for community news coverage by deciding what the reporting priorities should be. The newspapers must carry hard news, local features, local sports, and social/lifestyle news relevant to the community. This full-time position is exempt and reports to the Weeklies Regional Manager. The newspaper can be found online at www.smcitizen.com.
- Working knowledge of overall newspaper production processes
- Effective communication skills
- Degree in journalism with editorial background or equivalent experience
- Understanding of journalistic ethics and legal/libel knowledge
- Strong editing, writing, designing and pagination skills
- Proficiency in InDesign, PageMaker or Quark and Adobe Photoshop, as well as Microsoft Word and Excel (spreadsheets) is preferred.
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Write stories and editorials, edit copy, take photographs and paginate news pages
- Provide adequate stories and photographs for each issue and special section
- Oversee and direct staff and stringers to provide the best quality stories while staying within set budget
- Achieve the desired business results of the company
- Work with Weeklies Manager to provide vision, skill development direction, coaching and leadership to newspaper staff to accomplish strategic and business objectives of the company
- Help to prepare, implement and operate within an annual strategic plan to accomplish product and service improvement and grow audience
- Actively participate in various community functions and events. Take a leadership role in the community.
Interested persons may send resume and story samples to Deborah Kamlot, HR Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Date Posted: March 16, 2021