The Chiefland Citizen, a division of Landmark Community Newspapers, is seeking an Editor. The Editor is responsible for the overall photography, writing, editing and layout of the weekly newspaper. The Editor sets the agenda for community news coverage by deciding what the reporting priorities should be. The newspaper must carry hard news, local features, local sports, and social/lifestyle news relevant to the community. This full-time position is exempt and reports to the General Manager.
The Chiefland Citizen is a weekly newspaper with an average paid circulation of 1,800. The office is located centrally on the west side of the state of Florida. The Chiefland Citizen offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401(k) and paid time off benefits to full-time employees. The newspaper can be found online at www.chieflandcitizen.com
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism with editorial background or equivalent experience
- Working knowledge of overall newspaper production processes
- Effective communication skills
- Understanding of journalistic ethics and legal/libel knowledge
- Strong editing, writing, designing and pagination skills
- Proficiency in InDesign, PageMaker or Quark and Adobe Photoshop, as well as Microsoft Word and Excel (spreadsheets) is preferred
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends to cover events
- Must have reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license
- Write stories and editorials, edit copy, take photographs and paginate news pages
- Provide adequate stories and photographs for each issue and special section
- Oversee and direct staff and stringers to provide the best quality stories while staying within set budget
- Achieve the desired business results of the company
- Work with Weeklies Manager to provide vision, skill development direction, coaching and leadership to newspaper staff to accomplish strategic and business objectives of the company
- Help to prepare, implement and operate within an annual strategic plan to accomplish product and service improvement and grow audience
- Actively participate in various community functions and events. Take a leadership role in the community.
Interested persons may contact Dale Bowen, at email@example.com if additional information is needed. You may apply at www.lcni.com under Job Opportunities.
Notify your immediate supervisor and LCNI HR Director if making application. The deadline to apply is Friday, July 12, 2019.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Date Posted: June 27, 2019