Nominations to the Hall of Fame are accepted any time, but the deadline for consideration in the current year is April 1. Include a one or two page letter with a bio of the nominee and a paragraph of why you believe they should be included in the Newspaper Hall of Fame. The Florida Newspaper Hall of Fame Committee will meet once a year to review the nominees. Read Hall of Fame policies and procedures.
Submit Hall of Fame Nomination
Policies and procedures
- The Florida Newspaper Hall of Fame shall be under the direction of the Florida Press Association.
- The FPA President and the FPA Executive Director shall be Ex-Officio members of the Florida Newspaper Hall of Fame Committee. They may participate in the selection activities but they shall have no vote therein.
- The Florida Newspaper Hall of Fame Committee shall be comprised of five voting members who shall serve staggered, five-year terms. These members shall be the five most recent Chairmen of the Board of the Florida Press Association who are still active in the newspaper industry in Florida. The most senior member of the Committee, based upon the number of years since serving as Chair man of the Board, will be replaced each year at the FPA annual convention by the incoming Chairman of the Board of the Florida Press Association. Other vacancies which may occur periodically on the committee shall be filled by the Florida Press Association Board of Directors from among previous chairmen of the FPA Board who are still active in the newspaper industry in Florida. Their term of service will pick-up and complete the term of the individual they replace.
- The Florida Newspaper Hall of Fame Committee will meet once a year to review possible nominees to the Hall of Fame and to conduct other business. The members of the Florida Newspaper Hall of Fame Committee shall elect a chairman who shall preside at all the meetings of the committee. The committee shall also elect a vice-chairman who shall serve as chairman in the absence of the chairman. The Executive Director of the Florida Press Association shall assist the committee in maintaining a list of possible nominees to the Florida Newspaper Hall of Fame.
- The chairman of the Florida Newspaper Hall of Fame Committee shall submit the names of those persons selected for admission to the Executive Director of the Florida Press Association who shall contact the families of the persons selected to obtain photographs of the subjects and information for biographical sketches to be placed in the Hall of Fame. All photographs of subjects selected for the Hall of Fame shall be approximately 10 inches high by 8 inches wide and in black and white. They will be prominently displayed at The Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg and on the association’s website.
- The presentation of newly approved subjects shall be under the supervision of the FPA President and FPA Board of Directors and shall take place at the FPA annual convention. Close relatives of the subjects shall be notified of the date of presentation and shall be invited to attend the ceremony.
- Subjects selected for honor in the Hall of Fame shall have rendered outstanding service in the field of newspaper journalism in Florida. They shall be eligible for selection to the Hall of Fame normally no earlier than the third year following their retirement or death.
- In the first year, eight nominees will be admitted to the Florida Hall of Fame. In successive years, normally no more than one nominee per year will be selected for admission to the Florida Hall of Fame.
- These Rules and Regulations may be amended by the Board of Directors of the Florida Press Association.