The Wakulla News has an opening for the position of Reporter. The Reporter duties will include reporting, writing and photography of local news in coordination with the Editor. The Reporter will develop a strong source network among the traditional government agencies and throughout the community. The Wakulla News is weekly publication with a circulation of 4,200.
The Wakulla News is part of the Citrus Publishing Group which produces a group of weekly newspapers in Citrus, Marion, Sumter, Wakulla, Gadsden and Levy counties. The newspapers include paid weeklies, shoppers and free distribution newspapers.
• Bachelor’s degree in journalism or a related field, or equivalent experience, is required.
• Strong grammar, spelling, writing, interviewing and researching skills required.
• Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment; produce, on average, two stories a day; meet frequent deadlines
• Display strong computer skills, including experience with InDesign Creative Suite.
• Write accurate, compelling and balanced stories meeting required deadlines.
• Cover local events, meetings and other activities, as well as write feature stories.
• Develop beat sources within the community and gain a thorough knowledge and understanding of community issues.
• Help build pages using InDesign and PhotoShop.
• Cover local government meetings.
• Practice fair and balanced reporting, check facts, spelling, grammar and sources.
• Set up interviews.
• Develop story ideas in conjunction with Editor.
• Basic skills with digital photography.
• Lifting up to 45lbs from a level of 0 to a level of 35 in.
• Sitting up to 8 hours per day.
• Walking up to 2 hours per day on a variety of surfaces.
• Twisting movements are required.
• Kneeling movements are required.
• Bending movements are required.
• Finger dexterity is required.
• Wrist movement is required.
• Position is routinely exposed to glare (VDT).
• 40-hour work week with some night and weekend shifts.
• Reports to Editor
To apply, send resume to: email@example.com