Edit content produced by readers, regular contributors, correspondents and staff. Rewrite content submissions and press releases when necessary. Import content (photos and stories) into editorial front-end system. Design and lay out pages clean and exciting for publication. Proofread team members’ pages. Upload stories to the website. Answer phone calls and provide excellent customer to our readers.
• Edit or rewrite copy to ensure it is grammatically correct and follows AP style
• Import photos and stories from email into content management system
• Layout pages for publication
• Manage and plan content for publication
• Upload stories and update the website and social media avenues
• Communicate effectively with team and other department members
• Edit, slug and place news submissions, press releases and stories to various queues
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS and ABILITY
• Commitment to customers through positive enthusiastic and professional customer service.
• Ability to represent the company in a professional manner.
• Knowledge of or the ability to learn and operate the editorial computer system.
• Professional telephone manner.
• Ability to communicate with customers, stringers and co-workers in a professional manner.
• Ability to work in a well structured, high stress, competitive environment.
• Knowledge of proper grammar, punctuation and spelling.
• Problem solving, analytical abilities and interpersonal skills required
• Position requires a four-year college diploma or equivalent 4 years experience working in a newsroom.
• Computer knowledge a must
• Customer service experience
Ability to operate telephone and computer keyboard simultaneously. Wrist movement and finger dexterity and twisting movements are required. Position requires sitting 6 or more hours per 8-hour shift. Must be able to lift up to 10 lbs.Squatting, bending, kneeling, reaching and twisting will be necessary on occasion. Climbing stepladder and stairs are also required on occasion.
Position is routinely exposed to glare (VDT) from computer display terminal 6 or more hours per day. Position is exposed to overhead fluorescent lighting and to ringing telephones continuously
This Full-Time, non-exempt position reports to the Editor. Nights and weekends required.
Internal candidates must communicate with current supervisor before making application.
Forward cover letter and resume to Human Resources at email@example.com by Friday, April 21 2017.